Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Garlic-Lime Chicken and Corn On The Cob



I love corn on the cob. I love to cook it, I love to eat it, and I love that you get to eat it with your hands. But this ain't your grandmother's corn on the cob. (I am fighting the urge right now to call it "kicked-up" corn on the cob. I just can't let myself do it. I've got to stay strong.) Despite my internal struggle with the urge to start talking like some obnoxious celebrity chef, I have been making this corn for my wife and friends for a while now, and I just can't get enough. And the best part? It's easy! Just throw the ingredients into some foil, drop it in the oven, and you are done. Nothing to it. The ingredients for the corn are not set in stone, so add or subtract things for your taste.

As for the chicken, I was just going for something edible that paired well with the corn. As it turns out, it was pretty damn tasty on it's own. Nothing all that complicated about this one, either. The most work you will have to do is chopping an onion and peeling some garlic. Oh, and shoveling it into your mouth. So here we go.

Corn On The Cob
2 ears of corn, cleaned
4 - 5 cloves of garlic, diced
2 Tbs. butter
Juice of 1 lime
Dash of paprika
Dash of chili powder
Sprinkle of chopped cilantro
Salt and pepper
2 20" (approx.) long sheets of foil

Give each ear of corn it's own piece of foil. Divide the garlic between the ears. (Of corn. Not your ears. Nevermind.) Use 1 Tbs. of butter per ear, as well as the juice from 1/2 lime for each ear. Sprinkle paprika, chili powder, salt and pepper in as well. Finish it off with some chopped cilantro. Wrap foil tightly around the ears of corn and other ingredients, place on a baking sheet, and cook in the oven at 375 deg. for 20 minutes.

It's probably a good idea to do the corn before the chicken. The corn takes a little longer in the oven.

Garlic-Lime Chicken
2 chicken breasts
Juice from 2 limes
2 pinches of chili powder (to taste)
Several pinches of Himalayan pink salt, or sea salt (also to taste)
Ground black pepper
6 cloves of garlic
1/2 red onion, cut into wide 1/2in slices
Chopped cilantro for garnish

Mix the lime juice, chili powder, salt and pepper in a large ziplock back. Add the chicken breasts. Marinate for ONLY 10 minutes, any more and the lime juice will start to cook the chicken. You want the stove to do that. Reserve the juice in the bag for later. In a large pan on high heat, sear both sides of the chicken breasts for about 3 - 4 minutes per side. Remove from heat.

Put the chicken breasts, garlic, onion, and marinade into a foil lined baking dish. Cover with a sheet of foil, and cook for about 10 minutes at 375 deg. Cook uncovered at the same heat for about 5 minutes or until cooked through. Serve with the cooked garlic and onion. Garnish with chopped cilantro.

At this point, I bet you're thinking you remember seeing what looked like tomatoes in the picture above. No need to scroll all the way back up, I'll help you out. While not part of the original recipe, I found some amazing heirloom tomatoes while I was at Whole Foods picking up the rest of the ingredients. Seriously, these things were as big as a baby's head. So, what the heck? Slice 'em, drizzle some olive oil over them, liberally sprinkle them with salt and pepper and there ya go. Maybe you cook them, maybe you don't. Your choice.

Enjoy!

7 comments:

Megan said...

Those tomatoes look gorgeous! I have added this meal to my "to make next week..." Thanks for the post!

Megan

Joel said...

Megan - Thanks! Yes, those tomatoes were beautiful, and delicious. They were so pretty, I almost felt bad about cutting them up. Almost.

I hope you enjoy the recipe. Let me know how it turns out for you. Enjoy!

Esi said...

That chicken looks delicious. I always need to find new recipes for chicken since I have it so much!

Joel said...

Esi - When you try it out, let me know how it goes. I hope you like it!

Tom Aarons said...

I love the look of your tomato steaks. And the chicken and corn look delicious, too! Yum!

sj said...

yum yum yum :) Those 'maters look sooo good :)

Leslie said...

Just found your site! Love it!