Sunday, August 16, 2009

My First Harvest

My little rooftop garden experiment is finally starting to pay off! The time, effort and love I have put into these few little pots of dirt are actually turning into something, right now in the form of these lovely, rosey little shallots. We had a minor disaster with the tomato plant, but hopes are high now for the bell pepper plant. Hopefully, with the mild San Francisco summer approaching, I should have some delicious bells in a couple of months.


The sorrel is growing like crazy, and I will soon be moving it to an even bigger pot. Garlic has started to sprout, and I plan on getting a couple more shallots in the ground soon. Thanks to you all who gave me your encouragement, it's great to know I've got people rooting for me. And believe me, if I can grow something on the windy, fog-soaked coast of San Francisco, you can have a garden just about anywhere.

2 comments:

Food, she thought. said...

Those shallots look gorgeous. Well done.

S said...

Isn't it the best feeling to harvest something you've grown yourself? We decided to grow something this year in our tiny apartment, though certainly nothing as ambitious as this. We have a couple of herbs and our pride and joy, an Indian hot chilli plant which is just about showing signs of giving us our first chilli!